RAP Professional Gaming Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guide to Gaining FPS in Arma 2/3 (Uncomplete, really rugged)

3 posters

Go down

Guide to Gaining FPS in Arma 2/3 (Uncomplete, really rugged) Empty Guide to Gaining FPS in Arma 2/3 (Uncomplete, really rugged)

Post by OperatorDrewski Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 pm

WHY DOES ARMA LAG?
ArmA, its slow. Most people get surprised when they get low frames in ArmA with their gaming computers, why is this?
ArmA uses the Real Virtuality engine. Version 3 to be exact. This engine allows for decent graphics to be paired with the ability to maintain more than 500,000 objects at one time on an average computer, unlimited amount of players and AI, and sophisticated day/night weather cycles.

Vocab i use:
GPU: Graphics Card
CPU: Processor

RV3 rarely relies on the GPU. Compared to other games, a lot more of what you see is given to the CPU to compute. 3D objects are rendered in the CPU, as well as shadows (low-settings shadows only) and a few other graphical pretty things.

Most games leave shadows, 3D objects (buildings, cars, trees/bushes) to the GPU, and textures are usually higher quality, meaning VRAM is used to it's maximum (2047MB usually) extent, but in ArmA, the minimum VRAM/Video Memory setting is nearly around 256MB. That is barely anything, yet ArmA can still survive on it. Why?

CPU does the s***. All the s***.
Let me list the most important computer parts in order for ArmA to run well:

Decending Importance:

So what is the best option? Either upgrade your parts, which you probably can't do, or try the following steps to speed up your computer and smooth your gameplay on ArmA.

OPTIMIZATION IS NOW YOUR GIRLFRIEND

The following should help your computer cope with ArmA. I'm putting these in order of what i think are the most effective ways.

The most effective for keeping your game from crashing, making Arma start around 10 times faster, and making your computer use all of the processor is the following.

PARAMETER METHOD:

Goto:
Steam>library>right click on whichever ArmA game you are optimizing>properties> "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."

Now, if you do not know how many cores and/or threads or processor has, read this:
Learn your s*** with the all-powerful Rik0's guide:
In that launch parameter textbox, copy paste the following but DO NOT APPLY IT YET.

-maxVRAM=2047 -maxmem=2047 -cpuCount=8 -winxp -exthreads=7 -world=empty -nosplash -nopause

1. Change the -cpucount to your amount of cores.
2. -Exthreads means EXTRA THREADS. ArmA runs through 1 thread on default. If you have 4 threads in total, this should be -exthreads=3 for example. If i have 2 cores, -exthreads=1.
3. -Maxmem is RAM. Your PC should have more than 2gb of ram if it's able to run Arma at all. You shouldn't have to change this. 2047 is hard-coded maximum.
4. -MaxVRAM IS DANGEROUS. KNOW HOW MUCH VIDEO RAM YOUR GPU HAS. GOOGLE IF YOU DON'T

NICE TO HAVE:
Nosplash, nopause, and world=empty will make your game load up to the main menu around 10X faster, additionally skipping the ESRB and ArmA II pictures at startup.

MOD METHOD

The following mods are created specifically for slow computers and speed up gameplay.

I expect that this should help a good bit when on emita:
BUILDINGS FPS MOD
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7280
FOLIAGE FPS MOD
This should help with everything else:
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7251

They also give a tactical advantage by deleting large grass, small shrubs, and making ground foliage shorter, and lesser.
ARMA2.CFG

MaxFrameRender:

You should find this notepad document in Documents>ArmA2>Arma2.cfg(open with notepad)
There's also OA and A2F versions if you want to edit those.
There should be two lines of text that say this, though your numbers may differ from mine:
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead="80";
GPU_MaxFramesAhead="4";

Change these variables into:

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead="4";
GPU_MaxFramesAhead="0";

MEMORY ALLOCATOR METHOD

LOTS OF TEXT:

Last edited by OperatorDrewski on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
OperatorDrewski
OperatorDrewski
Elite: RAP Leader

https://rapclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Guide to Gaining FPS in Arma 2/3 (Uncomplete, really rugged) Empty Re: Guide to Gaining FPS in Arma 2/3 (Uncomplete, really rugged)

Post by Gunfin Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:56 am

Does this also fix my autism?
Gunfin
Gunfin
Noble

Back to top Go down

Guide to Gaining FPS in Arma 2/3 (Uncomplete, really rugged) Empty Re: Guide to Gaining FPS in Arma 2/3 (Uncomplete, really rugged)

Post by Bassdrop Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:27 pm

It should fix your Down syndrome
Bassdrop
Bassdrop

http://www.rapclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OperatorDrewski Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:43 pm

*Edited by administrator:

Post removed for:
[too offensive/vulgar]

[1] Warning(s) issued to OP.

How about shut the fuck up bass
fuck your shit
m8
I AMMMM THE ADMIN
OperatorDrewski
OperatorDrewski

https://rapclan.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down